It's been a while!!
My computer had a little break down so I had to send her off for some "help". She's back & in fine working condition, thanks to Mike at Triangle Tech Group. Who knew it would be so hard to find someone to repair a computer in Durham?? I mean..RTP? Come on!! Well, I don't have to look any further because now I have found my place. I was able to drop it off in Durham where Pinky (my pink computer) was swiftly picked up & taken to Raleigh. Pinky was a troubled one, so she was sent to Chapel Hill & settled in the capable hands of Mike. He kept me informed of the progress & even replaced my anti-virus software (which let a few nasties into my computer) with the one that he uses. I couldn't be more happy with the customer service I received. My motherboard was even reflowed instead of replaced, saving me a bundle of money. I have idea what that means only that it made Pinky come back to life.
During our "break" I worked on drawing faces, faces & faces.
I wanted to branch out from my whimsy girls & my stylized girls & try my hand at more realistic, stylized faces. I finished one of the first stylized faces I painted a couple of months ago. I mounted her to an old piece of cabinet, then made my own texture paste to make the background more interesting. I collaged scrapbooking paper to the background then painted over the top. A few more embellishments & stamping & she was done. I need to get a fixative to spray on top, but other than that, she's finished.
Here are several faces that I've been working on & trying to get the noses just right. Noses are hard, then sometimes lips are hard too...then the eyes..oy. Well, I'm relatively happy with these whole faces. I practiced each component individually, but the pages of just eyes, noses & lips were getting pretty creepy, so I had to put them together.
They scanned pretty lightly so it's hard to see the shading. I did complete a mixed media piece with one of the faces. I haven't named it yet, but it's a little gypsy mounted on wood.
I ripped the face out of my sketchbook & glued it to the wood, using my texture paste for her hair. I cut the leaves & flower out of decorative papers & collaged them around her, then added lots of layers of paint. I used India ink & & paint for the drippy parts, then scraped on a little gesso to soften it a bit.
I added a few floral pebbley things on the bottom & the fabric at the bottom is a section of hem from an old pair of jeans. I drilled 2 holes at the top to thread a piece of a tie from an old dress, then ripped an old shirt, dress & fabric scraps for the hangy thing on the left. I'm happy with the way she turned out.
She seems to need a little something at the top, so I may add words. I thought of burning the words into the wood, but not sure if I should do it into the paint. I'm going to give it a try & see what happens.
I have another face shaded & glued onto another piece of wood.
She's on the way to becoming Mary. It'll probably take a while to get her finished because I'm still looking for inspiration. I really am a bit addicted to drawing faces now.
Hope y'all have a great week!